Subject: RE: Delayed KSA Order - SO 200280200 / AWB 290089804026
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], "Azharuddin Kalamuddin (R3PL)" <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 10:38:57 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]> @Zubair Wahid
<[email-masked]>

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 9:34 AM
*To:* Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>; [email-masked];
Azharuddin Kalamuddin (R3PL) <[email-masked]>;
Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>; Eugene Mugisa <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Ekta Jesswani <
[email-masked]>; Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Delayed KSA Order - SO 200280200 / AWB 290089804026

Hi team,

The above-mentioned shipment shows shipped on 29th April and the customer
has been constantly following up on the order.

Upon tracking the information shows below.

Kindly check and advise ASAP, the customer wants a delivery within the week.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE