Subject: Fwd: Your Trenitalia Ticket
From: Rosette Modiri <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 21:18:51 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Trenitalia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 11:18 PM
Subject: Your Trenitalia Ticket
To: <[email-masked]>

*Order Confirm*
Dear* Rosette Bokaozi*,
This is to confirm you that you have successfully completed the purchase of
the following travels:

*Train:*Regionale Veloce  2314  date  28/09/2019
*Departure*: Roma Termini (time: 15:02);  *Arrival*: Firenze S. M.
Novella (time: 18:48)
*Seat *: Seats (only 2° Classe) *Service *: 2° Classe
*Traveler Name*:Rosette Bokaozi;

*Booking code (PNR)*:
*Ticket Code *:1202597066

*Total Price*: EUR 21.65
*Corporate ID*: -
*Pick up procedure*: Biglietto Elettronico regionale
*Ticket holder*: Rosette Bokaozi
The Regional e-ticket is personal and may only be used by: Rosette Bokaozi

*Caution: you made a purchase without being registered. With the
information in this mail, through this this link You can access the
functionality display purchase, exchange and refund reservation. If you
want to enjoy all the services available to customers registered for use
and reuse this your next purchase, complete the registration click here. If
you need to resend this message click here and use the following code
recovery Number 740077079 *
N.b: regional tickets purchased on-line must be shown on request to
supervisory staff together with a valid form of photo ID on an IT support
(PC, tablet, smartphone) capable of viewing PDF files or AZTEC code/QRCode
or by displaying their ticket in the "My Journeys" reserved area available
on the Trenitalia App, www.trenitalia.com and Mobile. Tickets can also be
shown in paper form.
Note that regional tickets purchased on-line are only valid for the
individual in whose name they are registered and are non-transferable.
For further information call the Trenitalia call center on 892021 or
199892021, automatic answering service (check call costs).

Further information on train delay refunds
Further information on how to make changes to your ticket

* Points will be credited on the traveller's charter, only after making the
journey.ok