Subject: Resume-Vidhi Gautam (Technical Support/Service Desk /Maunal Testing Profile )
From: Vidhi Gautam <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:46:43 +0530

Greetings of the day!

Dear Concern,

I am very interested in the Technical Support(Service Desk) position that
you have shared on Linkedin. I believe my training, experience, and proven
ability as a Tier One Technical Support Specialist and Help Desk technician
will allow me to significantly contribute to the productivity and quality
of your company's IT division.

In reviewing the attached resume, you will note that I have acquired
valuable experience in all facets of query handling, client handling,
software support in ERP support. I possess a unique talent for translating
highly complex technical information into terms and concepts that the
end-users can readily grasp. These skills have enabled me, in my most
recent position, to reduce our response time to troubleshoot tickets by a
significant level, vastly improving our client satisfaction ratios.

Furthermore, I am multi-task oriented, enjoy a challenge, and continually
stay abreast of the latest advancements in the Technical support field.

If you are seeking a Technical support professional who has excellent
people and problem-solving skills and who can easily provide optimum
support to your MIS operations, then please consider what I have to offer.

Some key highlights of my profile are given below:

Current Job Location:- Noida
Present CTC - 3.12 LPA (Take-home salary)
Expected CTC - 4 LPA
Time to join - Immediate
Total Experience – 4 Year 3 Months
Exp in Service Desk- 4 Year 3 Months
Current location: Delhi
Pref Location- Delhi, Noida
I believe it would be mutually beneficial for us to meet and discuss the
goals of your company and how my technical abilities can help you achieve
those goals.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thanks & Regards,

Vidhi Gautam
9045220201