Subject: Tech support screening
From: tanzil shaikh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 17:47:37 +0530

Dear mem

The job in Technical Support that you advertised is exactly what I have
been seeking and I am submitting my resume. I have 5.5 years of technical
support experience ..

Until recently I worked as a Technical Support representative at Great
Barrier Reef until our positions were outsourced overseas. While working in
the position I answered inbound telephone calls and assisted customers with
resolving technical issues they were experiencing with their computers and
modems.

Utilizing excellent customer service and technical knowledge skills I was
able to successfully resolve any technology issue. My experience and
education present me as a person who is exactly what your ad indicated you
are looking for. I have extensive knowledge of computer technology and have
kept abreast of the frequent changes that occur in applications and
hardware as technology advances. I also regularly meet all goals and have
had excellent feedback provided by customers on post-call surveys. As your
newest Technical Support representative I will bring exceptional telephone
skills and strong troubleshooting ability. I thoroughly enjoy helping
people solve technical problems.

I have enclosed my resume and eagerly await your call to schedule an
interview for the Technical Support position.

Regards
Shaikh tanzeem
Mo : 9624936152