Subject: Job application
From: Anoop Krishnan R <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 09:11:05 +0530

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to consider my resume. I'm looking forward to
finding out more about the Technical Support position.
Customer service is always my top priority, and it is my goal to provide
the best customer support available for each client while becoming a
valuable asset for the company I work for.
During my previous employment, I was specialized in helping customers
resolve a wide variety of technical issues. Over the course of my two plus
year employment, I received high ratings from clients, and I helped
increase customer satisfaction from 82% to 96%. I was praised for being
highly versatile, and I was one of a select group of techs who were
available to assist customers in online chats.
I enjoy building a relationship with each client and ensuring that they
receive the ultimate customer support.
I always had natural problem-solving skills, and working in tech support is
the perfect job for my skill set. Helping clients solve technical issues
and knowing that I've had a positive impact on someone each day is highly
rewarding and motivating to me. If you wish to learn more about my
experience and skill set, please contact me at any time.

Regards,
Anoop Krishnan R.