Subject: Baby registry issue- SO 600883916
From: Angeli Fontillas <[email-masked]>
To: Pradeep M <[email-masked]>, Sara Ahmed <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 15:40:30 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hello Team,

Kindly check the subject order please, as the customer saying that it was
not a baby registry order and not related to the person on the shipping
address at all and placed the order as normal.

However on MG and NS , the shipping address was incorrect and its saying
baby registry order?

May we know how it was possible?

Customer email address- [email-masked]

Correct shipping information

*shamma almansooriAbudhabi, Mohammed bin zayed city zone 30 villa 127/87T:
+971527333756*

Thank you.

*Regards,*

*Angeli Fontillas*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455   Ext 1324 │ e: [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> │ w: www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE