Subject: RE: Urgent KSA Delivery Order - SO 100127049_3 / AWB 605122029570
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 11:43:39 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 8, 2020 11:43 AM
*To:* Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>; Zubair Wahid <
[email-masked]>; lastmile <[email-masked]>; Eugene Mugisa <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Urgent KSA Delivery Order - SO 100127049_3 / AWB 605122029570

Hi Team,

The customer called to follow up and is furious about the delay. The
customer threats to raise a formal complaint too.

Upon tracking it shows:

Kindly assist and prioritize this shipment. The customer needs delivery
within the week otherwise she would want a refund.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*

Customer Care Representative

p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE