Subject: Fwd: Second Final Test Results - Philippines - Start Date: 07.08.2019
From: Urvika Chaudhary <[email-masked]>
To: Adrian Fabular <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 22:07:36 -0700 (MST)

Hi Drei, 

Please find the details. 

Urvika Chaudhary 
Training Manager 

Live Salesman 
[email-masked] 
[ http://www.livesalesman.com/ | www.livesalesman.com ] 

From: "CS Training" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Urvika Chaudhary" <[email-masked]>, "Robert Cosgrove" <[email-masked]>, "Meghan Flanagan" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Jana Garbe" <[email-masked]>, "maiwenn gouthe" <[email-masked]>, "Ricardo Fernandes" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:02:51 PM 
Subject: Second Final Test Results - Philippines - Start Date: 07.08.2019 

Hi all, 

Please see below the second final test results for the agent Rosana Balbin who started with the training group on 07.08.2019. 

Sadly, Rosana did not pass the second final test achieving a final score of 69.33%. 

I have provided feedback at the bottom of this email regarding the scenarios not passed. 

	

Test 	

Course name 	

Course code 	

Date 	

Result 	

Score 	

Time 		

Scenario I - Test 	

[Training - Final Test - Second Attempt] - New 	

- 	

27/08/19 5:45 	

Not passed 	

73.33% 	

1h 8m 14s 		

Scenario II - Test 	

[Training - Final Test - Second Attempt] - New 	

- 	

27/08/19 5:46 	

Passed 	

86.67% 	

10m 27s 		

Rosana Balbin 

Scenario III - Test 	

[Training - Final Test - Second Attempt] - New 	

- 	

27/08/19 5:48 	

Passed 	

86.67% 	

21m 52s 		

Scenario IV - Test 	

[Training - Final Test - Second Attempt] - New 	

- 	

27/08/19 5:56 	

Not passed 	

40.00% 	

22m 58s 		

Scenario V - Call 	

[Training - Final Test - Second Attempt] - New 	

- 	

27/08/19 5:43 	

Not passed 	

60.00% 	

6m 		

69.33% 			

Scenario I – Test 

    * Multiple Answers are Possible: What is applicable when we speak about Pending Substitution internally? Rosana incorrectly selected “Buyer will receive a full refund”. If this was not selected Rosana would have passed this question. 
    * Please confirm how you would exit the case. Rosana selected “Follow Up”, Rosana should select “Wrap Up”. 

Scenario IV – Test 

    * Which action would you perform in CSL?. Rosana selected “Stop Seller Payment”, Rosana should select “None of the above”. 
    * Please confirm which blurb you would use to respond to the buyer. Rosana selected “RAG buyer was denied entry confirm refund and voucher”, Rosana should select “RAG - Rejecting a guarantee claim”. 
    * Please confirm which blurb you would use to respond to the seller. Rosana selected “RAG informing fan seller buyer was denied entry seller will not be paid”. Rosana should select “No email to the seller required”. 
    * The seller will be paid in this scenario. Rosana selected “False”, Rosana should select “True”. 
    * The buyer is entitled to... Rosana selected “full refund and voucher”, Rosana should select “Nothing”. 
    * Please confirm how you would exit the case. Rosana selected “Escalate to Payments”. Rosana should select “Wrap Up”. 

Scenario V – Call 

    * Why was the customer calling? Rosana selected “Refund Query”, Rosana should select “Face Value Query”. 
    * Did the agent handle the request for a Manager Callback correctly? Rosana selected “Yes”, Rosana should select “No”. 
    * Did the agent set realistic expectations for the customer? Rosana selected “Yes”, Rosana should select “No”. 

Kind Regards, 

Cian