Subject: Re: India Training Report - Group 13.11.2018 - Day IV
From: Urvika Chaudhary <[email-masked]>
To: Jana Garbe <[email-masked]>
Cc: Brian Sexton <[email-masked]>, maiwenn gouthe <[email-masked]>, David Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:13:01 +0530 (IST)

Hi Jana, 

Thank you for the feedback. 

M. Christelle and E. Fernandez has been given the feedback regarding the phone call Exercise, they have been informed about the importance of asking the 4 security questions. They will also redo the IT Football module. 

As previously explained- M. Christelle lacks subject understanding. She has been already given a feedback on this. We are waiting for her to complete the final assessment which will show her level of understanding, based which the management can take a decision if she fits the process or not. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance on this. 

Urvika Chaudhary 
Training Manager - viagogo 

Live Salesman 
[email-masked] 
[ http://www.livesalesman.com/ | www.livesalesman.com ] 

From: "Jana Garbe" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Brian Sexton" <[email-masked]>, "Urvika Chaudhary" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "maiwenn gouthe" <[email-masked]>, "David Lee" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, 16 November, 2018 22:40:56 
Subject: India Training Report - Group 13.11.2018 - Day IV 

Hi Urvika, 

Please see below the results of the agents in training: 

	

Agent 	

CSL Test 	

Policy Knowledge 	

Life of an Order 	

Fulfilment 	

Shipping and Delivery 	

Cancelled & Postponed events 	

Teams 	

LMS 	

Wrong Tickets 	

RAG 	

Payment 	

Alternative delivery plans 	

Brazil Market 	

GDPR 	

IT Soccer 	

ES / DE / TR football 	

AVERAGE by agent 

M. Christelle 	

100.00% 	

80.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

80.00% 	

100.00% 	

80.00% 	

90.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

86.67% 	

100.00% 	

83.33% 	

53.33% 	

100.00% 	

90.83% 

E. Fernandez 	

100.00% 	

90.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

80.00% 	

90.00% 	

92.86% 	

93.33% 	

100.00% 	

88.89% 	

53.33% 	

100.00% 	

93.03% 

M. Nunez 	

90.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

90.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

90.00% 	

90.00% 	

92.86% 	

93.33% 	

100.00% 	

100.00% 	

80.00% 	

100.00% 	

95.39% 

    * Great job – M. Christelle retook all the quizzes she missed yesterday 
    * All agents passed the CIAN exercises – they summed up the content of the cases very well and took the correct actions to leave the case 
    * M. Christelle and E. Fernandez did not pass the Phone Exercise as both did not spot that the agent did not confirm whether she is speaking with the account holder. 
        * Note: M. Christelle seems to have copied a lot of the content from what was said in the actual case history, I am still not very convinced with her level of English. The same can be monitored in the Phone Exercise as the content written is not clear. 
    * For Monday it will be important to revise the IT Football model as two agents did not pass the quiz – rather than just going through the presentation again it would be good to start off the dialogue with questions they may have about the module and which parts were not clear. After that it may be no harm to go through the presentation again with the agents to let them ask questions wherever needed. 

Average Pass Rate: 93.08% 

Great job for catching up with the schedule! \uD83D\uDE0A 

Thanks, 

Jana Garbe 

Training & Quality