Subject: 600820034 // MD-303108 :SkipHop - Explore & More Follow Bee Crawl Toy // Defective
From: Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>
To: Jeno Serenio <[email-masked]>, Mylyn Vega <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, Abdelmohsen basha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:21:01 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Jeno,

Hope is a good day.

This is to let you know that our Bahraini customer returned the subject SKU
from the  POMUMZ_DXB190805 with the below reasons;

Sara Ebrahim <https://mumzworldhelp.zendesk.com/agent/#/users/367033484600>May
06 19:43

Good evening,

I received order # 600820034 today which includes SkipHop - Explore & More
Follow Bee Crawl Toy.

I opened the toy and it was not working, so I checked the batteries and I
found that one of them was melted.

I changed the batteries but still the toy is not working well. It should
roll but it is not rolling at all.

Please do something about it.

Regards,

Sara Ebrahim

Sent from my Huawei phone

Kindly Permit this return for further action.

-- 

*BEST REGARDS**...**✍*