Subject: Cashback Voucher - [email-masked]
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: Sara Ahmed <[email-masked]>, Amr Abed <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 16:17:52 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The customer with the above-mentioned email address called and informed
that she was not able to receive an email to notify her about the vouchers
issued.

Kindly check and advise if email notifications were sent to her to advise
the same. Also, please let us know if we can re-activate the codes for her.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE