Subject: Order Cancellation - Order No. 600953459
From: Hyacinth Joyce <[email-masked]>
To: Shajahan Kamal Batcha <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>, Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 17:40:37 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi team,

The customer called and requested to cancel the delivery. The order is
marked as delivered but did not receive it.

Please return the shipment to our wh ASAP.

@Returns.fc <[email-masked]> once the shipment is
returned/received please assist to update CRA to proceed with the refund.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

*Joyce Alvarado*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE