Subject: Wrong Item Received - 600926586
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, John Garcia <[email-masked]>, Moataz Salah El Din <[email-masked]>, Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>, "Outbound.fc" <[email-masked]>, Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>, Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 10:51:57 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Sagar,

We have a Bahrain customer who ordered a  Dyson - V8 Absolute Cordless
Vaccum Cleaner but he received a Dyson Air Wrap instead.

The item has already been collected by DHL and will arrive in Dubai on 12
Aug.

 This is a wedding gift and the customer needs it urgently. Due to the
urgency of the situation and customer keeps on following up almost every
day, hence, a new order was created.

600949227 - new order #

@John Garcia <[email-masked]> - please collect from the vendor
asap

@Outbound.fc <[email-masked]> @Mohit Caleb <[email-masked]>
@lastmile <[email-masked]> @Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]> -
once received and fulfilled, please dispatch asap.

Thank you
Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE