Subject: Missing Items - 100159482 // SKU: TC-14374// BDM-607657
From: Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
To: Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, Ahmed Irfan <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>, KSA Lastmile <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:45:21 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Team,

The customer is very upset, 2 items mentioned above are missing.

This case has been escalated (Incident #1195409 ) for a while but still,
there is no update.

As per the customer, she doesn't want it anymore. She wants a refund back
to her credit card.

Please check and advise. We need an urgent update.

Thank you

Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE