Subject: RE: Order # 600875669 // JRT-JK805550-62 // Jikel - Minos 2-in-1 Swing & Rocker - Beige // Not working properly
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "'Denmark A'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Maysam Salemi'" <[email-masked]>, "'Naser Mosanna'" <[email-masked]>, "'customer care'" <[email-masked]>, "'Returns.fc'" <[email-masked]>, "'Alina D'Souza'" <[email-masked]>, "'Kenneth Nwaso'" <[email-masked]>, "'Michael Rolle'" <[email-masked]>, "'Mark Anthony Laraga'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2020 11:01:54 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi Denmark,

Item was received. We will give a replacement on Saturday. 

Should there be any marking on the carton?

Regards,

Yaser Mosanna

From: Denmark A <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:27 AM
To: Yaser Mosanna <[email-masked]>
Cc: Maysam Salemi <[email-masked]>; Naser Mosanna <[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>; Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>; Michael Rolle <[email-masked]>; Mark Anthony Laraga <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Order # 600875669 // JRT-JK805550-62 // Jikel - Minos 2-in-1 Swing & Rocker - Beige // Not working properly

Dear Yaser, 

Thank you for your prompt reply, I'll dispatch today by our driver. 

Customer contact # : +971521028197

Regards, 

Den mark 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:23 AM Yaser Mosanna <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > wrote:

Hi Denmark,

No worries. Please send it back. But please from now on contact us before you take the item back. The issue can be solved with a simple replacement part. Avoids the extra work and cost for you. 

 

Please share the customer contact information as well, as we need to ask her a couple of questions.

 

Regards,

Yaser Mosanna 

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020, 8:17 AM Denmark A <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > wrote:

Dear Yaser, 

Item is with us please we need to hand to your side for you to evaluate the item . 

Regards, 

Den mark

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 4:36 PM <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > wrote:

Hi Denmark, 

Can you give the customers contact details. I will solve the issue directly with them

Regards,

Yaser Mosanna

From: Denmark A <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> > 
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 4:29 PM
To: Yaser Mosanna <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Maysam Salemi <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Cc: customer care <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Returns.fc <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Michael Rolle <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >; Mark Anthony Laraga <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Order # 600875669 // JRT-JK805550-62 // Jikel - Minos 2-in-1 Swing & Rocker - Beige // Not working properly

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back to you for your further evaluation. 

Also please find the attached video for your reference. 

I ordered the Jikel Minos swing just over a week ago and it is not working,

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you. 

Regards,

Den mark