Subject: RE: 600908436_2 and 600908436_3 Wrong Update
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, Clearway Express <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>, Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 16:14:52 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hashim,

What is the update here..

+ @Mostafa saad <[email-masked]> charge him

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Naib Khan <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 8, 2020 4:48 PM
*To:* Clearway Express <[email-masked]>; customer care <
[email-masked]>; lastmile <[email-masked]>; Mary Anne Agapito
<[email-masked]>; Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>; Mostafa
saad <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: 600908436_2 and 600908436_3 Wrong Update

@Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>@Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>

Please assist this the 3rd day with no reply and followup from Clearway
many issues they have about wrong update.

@Clearway Express <[email-masked]> customer needs the item ASAP
by today if your driver lost the orders let us know.

Regards.

Naib

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 16:21, Naib Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Clearway,

please assist when it will be delivered customer following up.

please share your feedback.

   - Comments: MARKED DELIVERED BUT NOT RECEIVED

customer just got a message to rate the delivery but nothing has been
delivered, no phone call either

PLS PUSH THE DELIVERY TODAY WITHOUT ANY FAIL, the customer is very upset

Regards.

Naib