Subject: 600609009 // MTC-10 FT // Megastar - 10ft Trampoline // Damaged Warranty
From: Denmark A <[email-masked]>
To: Simba <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, Kenneth Nwaso <[email-masked]>, Samran Iftikhar <[email-masked]>, Mark Anthony Laraga <[email-masked]>, Michael Rolle <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Magdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 10:38:51 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Dear Vendor,

Please see the below customer complaint and allow us to send the item back
to you for your further evaluation.

Return Reason:doesnt_work_or_defective
Comments :We received the trampoline in late October 2019. It has been
under a sail shade in a shaded part of the garden since we received it so
out of direct sunlight. While putting it away for the summer three weeks
ago my husband found that the springs on one side have come away from the
frame and the fabric holding it together has completely perished. I don't
know how long it's been like that for because of the temperature outside my
daughters have not used it since the start of May. We had our previous
trampoline for 5 years so I was shocked to find this one falling apart
after 8 months! Due to the extent of the damage it is not safe for my
daughters to use. I have attached pictures of the damage mentioned.

We appreciate your support in this matter, Thank you.

Regards,

Den mark