Subject: RE: 600908235 Super Urgent Delayed
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Naib Khan <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, Mark Anthony Laraga <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Anas nazzal <[email-masked]>, Mostafa saad <[email-masked]>, Denmark A <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 21:30:52 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Mostafa saad <[email-masked]> @Mark Anthony Laraga
<[email-masked]> @Denmark A <[email-masked]>

I thought this was cancelled

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Naib Khan <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:01 PM
*To:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>; lastmile <[email-masked]>;
Returns.fc <[email-masked]>; Mark Anthony Laraga <
[email-masked]>; customer care <[email-masked]>; Anas nazzal <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* 600908235 Super Urgent Delayed

Hi Eugene,

Order completely picked/packed. Release for loading since 27 June 2020

@Returns.fc <[email-masked]>@Mark Anthony Laraga
<[email-masked]> can you please assist why the order on hold.

Regards.

Naib