Subject: RE: MISSING ITEM 100129097 ( NAQEL SAE REALLOCATION )
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Johannes Jade Pabeca <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:59:32 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>

Please check and revert

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Johannes Jade Pabeca <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Monday, June 29, 2020 4:56 PM
*To:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>; Zubair Wahid <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Customer Care Team <[email-masked]>; Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: MISSING ITEM 100129097 ( NAQEL SAE REALLOCATION )

Hi Eugene and Zubair, any feedback on this?

Thank you

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:33 AM Johannes Jade Pabeca <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Eugene/ Zabir,

Please confirm how many boxes were reallocated to SAEE for this order?

Customer did not receive 1 item - SKU - TC-SI-95021A // Item no: 1108307

LFS shows it was supposed to be on a second box when it was initially
allocated to NAQEL

Hope to hear from you soon.

-- 

*Johannes Jade *

-- 

*Johannes Jade *