Subject: RE: Returns KSA - Damaged item - SO# 100141126
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "'Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala'" <[email-masked]>, "'Moataz Salah El Din'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Sagar Khawani'" <[email-masked]>, "'customer care'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 16:32:05 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Hi All,

Please advise. We need to get this refunded.

Radwa Ali
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 526476307│ e: Radwa <mailto:[email-masked]> @mumzworld.com  │
w:  <http://www.mumzworld.com/> www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE

 

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:51 AM
To: 'Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala' <[email-masked]>; 'Moataz Salah El
Din' <[email-masked]>
Cc: 'Sagar Khawani' <[email-masked]>; 'customer care'
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Returns KSA - Damaged item - SO# 100141126

Hi Hussain,

Appreciate your support as we need a CRA for an item that was fulfilled but
the customer received it damaged.

As the item value is too low (26 AED) we can not collect it to follow the
standard returns procedure. Customer wants refund but we can not issue a
refund unless we have CRA.

I have attached photos of the damage packaging and item.

SKU: KSA-EHIT-101759-RED
Amount: AED 26.72

Radwa Ali
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 526476307│ e: Radwa <mailto:[email-masked]> @mumzworld.com  │
w:  <http://www.mumzworld.com/> www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B101, 1st Floor, Building 4B, Dubai Design District, PO Box
500245, Dubai, UAE