Subject: RE: Missing Part - 600895781// SKU: MD-516210015
From: Laura Thomson <[email-masked]>
To: Lubna Forzley <[email-masked]>, Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>, "Returns.fc" <[email-masked]>, "Alina D'Souza" <[email-masked]>, Simone van Geemen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 11:19:34 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+Looping simone as I think the tracking code was sent yesterday.

Thanks

Laura

*From:* Lubna Forzley <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:22 AM
*To:* Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>; Laura Thomson <
[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>; Returns.fc <
[email-masked]>; Alina D'Souza <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Missing Part - 600895781// SKU: MD-516210015

Laura,

She keeps messaging me also asking for proof they will send it. Can we have
them email her ?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 at 09:19, Mary Anne Agapito <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Hi Lubna,

We have a customer who asked from you. As per her, the missing handlebar
will be sent to her directly from Germany. She is asking for the tracking
number and when it will be delivered.

Please assist. Thank you

Warm Regards,

*Mary Anne Agapito*
Customer Care Representative
p:  +971 (0)4 4339455  │ e: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> │ w:
 www.mumzworld.com
a:  Office B407-408, 4th Floor, Building 4,  D3, Dubai Design District, PO
Box 500245, Dubai, UAE