Subject: RE: FW: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days
From: Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
To: Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>, Harshil Gupta <[email-masked]>, Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>, customer care <[email-masked]>, Johannes Jade Pabeca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:44:47 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

Yes create CRA

CRA is must whether lost or expired or damage.

Pls mention in memo

*Shipment lost – charged to shipping co. (126 batch)*

*From:* Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:40 AM
*To:* Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>; Harshil Gupta <
[email-masked]>; Shajeeb Cheriyath <[email-masked]>; customer
care <[email-masked]>; Johannes Jade Pabeca <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: FW: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days

Dear Sagar,

Please confirm if I need to create CRAs for all the attached ?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 6:34 PM Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]> wrote:

Plz bill all to shipping co.

Order value is mentioned

126 shipment – 3 shipping company

*From:* Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Thursday, June 11, 2020 6:08 PM
*To:* Harshil Gupta <[email-masked]>; Hussain Firoz Miyagamwala <
[email-masked]>
*Subject:* FW: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days

What is the value of these order ?

*From:* Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Thursday, June 11, 2020 5:34 PM
*To:* Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Fwd: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Eugene Mugisa* <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 13:53
Subject: Orders Marked As Lost on Courier + 30 Days
To: customer care <[email-masked]>, Shajeeb Cheriyath <
[email-masked]>, Sagar Khawani <[email-masked]>, Ekta Jesswani <
[email-masked]>, Amir Julkarnain <[email-masked]>, Veronique
Bachmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, Shady Elgendy <[email-masked]>, Mohamed
Magdy <[email-masked]>, lastmile <[email-masked]>

Dear CC,

The below shipments have been updated as lost on the courier due to Severe
 Ageing. Please communicate with the customer and process refund for the
customer or check with them if they want to place a new order.

@'Shajeeb Cheriyath' <[email-masked]> @'Sagar Khawani'
<[email-masked]> Individual emails have been sent to you for each
courier and the tracker also to be updated.

General Status

Lost

*Count of AWB Number*

*Column Labels*

*Row Labels*

*>30 Days*

*Grand Total*

*KSA-KSA*

*94*

*94*

BARQ KSA

65

65

Wimo/Esnad

29

29

*UAE-KSA*

*32*

*32*

SMSA-Road

12

12

SMSA-Air

1

1

Wimo/Esnad

19

19

*Grand Total*

*126*

*126*

Best,

Eugene.

-- 

Thanks,

Eugene