Subject: RE: 100125431 - Not able to track shipment on SMSA
From: Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
To: Lima Premlal <[email-masked]>, KSA Lastmile <[email-masked]>, Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>
Cc: customer care <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 21:50:40 +0400
List-Id: <ccteam.mumzworld.com>

+ @Ronald Gaviola <[email-masked]>

Best,

Eugene.

*From:* Lima Premlal <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 9, 2020 5:31 PM
*To:* [email-masked]; Zubair Wahid <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked]; Eugene Mugisa <[email-masked]>
*Cc:* customer care <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* 100125431 - Not able to track shipment on SMSA

Hi team,

Please note subject order is been shipped through SMSA. We are not able to
track the shipment which shows AWB Number not found in System.

Please check and confirm. Customer very disappointed with delay.

Regards,

Lima