Subject: [zoiper #481228] AutoReply: Call Disposition feature
From: "Zoiper Support via RT" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:09:26 +0300

Greetings! 

Thank you for contacting the Zoiper Team! 

You are receiving this auto-reply in response to your email regarding:

 "Call Disposition feature", 

Your Request has been assigned an ID of #481228.

Please note that our ticketing system is reserved for our Zoiper BIZ & Premium customers.
Most of the queries are answered within one business day. 

If you are using one of our free products, please visit our community support forum:
http://community.zoiper.com

If you would like to add a reply, do not forget to include the string:

 [zoiper #481228]

in the subject line of all future correspondence about this case. 

Hitting the Reply button will do so.

 Thank you,
 Zoiper Team
 [email-masked]

A summary of your email:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Team, 

I just wanted to know if we have call disposition feature in Zoiper. 

Please revert asap as this is urgent 

Regards, 
Ashish Dabral