Subject: Tools set up
From: Cristian Galindo <[email-masked]>
To: Tzvi Katz <[email-masked]>, Beatriz Galvez <[email-masked]>, Mohammed Obiedo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:36:47 -0500

Hi team!

I hope you guys are doing well. Can we please verify if all the team in New
Delhi needs assistance setting up their tools and VPN and have the
equipment they need to start taking calls? They also need to change their
headsets as they can not hear well. Zoho and Acorn are working really
slowly.

Thanks a lot for your help. Regards

-- 

*Cristian GalindoInside Sales Trainer*
National Retail Solutions
*Phone*: *833-289-2767*  *Ext*: 0473
*Address*: 520 Broad Street, Newark NJ 07102
*Website*: nrsplus.com * E**mail*:
[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>

<[email-masked]>
<https://myaccount.google.com/?utm_source=OGB&tab=mk&utm_medium=act>