Subject: Claim process training - summary
From: Sylwia Adamczyk <[email-masked]>
To: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>, Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>, Customer Support IN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:41:35 +0200

Hello!

First and foremost I would like to thank the team for the participation in
Friday training.

Please see the presentation
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pagz8DWxxaLPA3_-9vRq193uOWMLARLbR8j7J89Gx4U/edit#slide=id.g1248eabe2a0_0_70>attached
that include all necessary information:

   1.

   Claim sheet available here

   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zmVnbhnsBE2ZI0jUb1ROmCCGC1DMC-6_xZMrEveHp3c/edit#gid=0>
   2.

   Guru documentation - all rules and requirements here

   <https://app.getguru.com/card/ir8Ra8jT/Claim-processing-at-Glopal?q=claim>
   3.

   Upic insurance here
   <https://app.getguru.com/card/c68zaoxi/UPIC-claims-processing>
   4.

   List of restricted countries for Upic here
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gcOFehlJ1xT-sQpv_3PPgwPfJvRwPDqqdLY5-aLf6Y8/edit?usp=sharing>

In case of any further questions or concerns please let me know - I will be
happy to help! Have a great week!

Kind Regards,

Sylwia Adamczyk
Customer Support
Team Leader