Subject: Assigned to Group - Issue Downloading Trip 21 - Fidelity Fitness
From: Les Mills International <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:21:33 +0000

Hi  A new ticket has been assigned to your group "Level 1". Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Issue Downloading Trip 21 - Fidelity Fitness Good evening

Fidelity Fitness are having issues Downloading Trip Live 21.

Would it be possible to check and see if there are any issues please as from our side it looks like they should have access to it.

Here are the Clubs details:

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

Many Thanks

Lauren Downey  | Group Fitness Specialist | Middle East |
Les Mills Middle East
Tel +971 4 5808466 | www.lesmills.com/ae<http://www.lesmills.com/ae>
[LesMills]<http://www.lesmills.com/>
[facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/lesmills>
[twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/lesmills>
[linkedin]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/les-mills-international>
[youtube]<http://www.youtube.com/lesmillsgroupfitness>
[instagram]<http://instagram.com/lesmillstribe>
<https://www.lesmills.com/united/>

 https://lesmillsvirtualapp.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3953