Subject: Warranty's escalations 7th August
From: Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>
To: hnyr <[email-masked]>
Cc: Deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 08:05:16 -0700 (MST)

Hello Heta, 

Here are the details for Warranty's escalations. 

Date 	Zendesk ticket number 	Replacement order number (if available) 	Country 	Missing information 
07-Aug-20 	93780 		Australia 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	80233 	SDE000006438 	Germany 	Need new return order to collect the replacement 
07-Aug-20 	80713 	SCA000001099 	Canada 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	88965 	SUS000014495 	USA 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	85913 	SFR000005162 	Fracnce 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	92649 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	92312 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	92323 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	92014 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	91853 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	91865 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	90435 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	88233 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the product 
07-Aug-20 	93727 	SUS000016097 	USA 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	92449 	SUS000015932 	USA 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	78522 	RUK498 	UK 	If the order has been shipped 
07-Aug-20 	82600 	RUK596 	UK 	Tracking # 

Regards, 
Ashish Dabral