Subject: Warranty's escalations 4th August
From: Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>
To: hnyr <[email-masked]>
Cc: Deeksha <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 08:14:13 -0700 (MST)

Hello Heta, 

Here are the details for Warranty's escalations. 

Date 	Zendesk ticket number 	Replacement order number (if available) 	Country 	Missing information 
04-Aug-20 	93222 	SUS000015876 	USA 	If the order has been shipped 
04-Aug-20 	89906 	SUS000015065 	USA 	If the order has been shipped 
04-Aug-20 	88410 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	90593 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	86060 	RUK592 	UK 	any est ship date? 
04-Aug-20 	92286 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	88204 	SUS000013838 	USA 	any est ship date? Or can we send similar quality headphones? 
04-Aug-20 	91251 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	91885 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	82446 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	91647 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
04-Aug-20 	92653 		Germany 	Customer did not receive the replacement 
				
04-Aug-20 	92466 	SUS000015642 	USA 	Tracking # 
04-Aug-20 	89276 	SUS000014841 	USA 	Tracking # 
04-Aug-20 	88595 	SUS000014457 	USA 	Need status 
04-Aug-20 	82448 		Germany 	Return order and replacement order # 

Regards, 
Ashish Dabral