Subject: Re: Slow Connection
From: Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: itman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:29:07 -0700 (MST)

Hi There,

We checked our network connection its working fine with other websites. We have only problem with zimbra server. it takes too much time to load and sometime we get attached error. I am 100% sure its not a problem with our internet connection.

Regards,
Ashish Dabral

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: "Ashish Dabral" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "itman" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:56:17 PM
Subject: Re: Slow Connection

Hi Ashish,

I checked the server load and could find that the load in the server  
was normal and there was no load spike for the past one week. Also the  
memory usage was an average of 96%. On checking zimbra logs, I could  
not find any sort of issue reported. Also the mail logs, shows that  
the mails were sent and received without any delay. I also tried  
accessing a mail account [email-masked] using https://lsmindia.com.  
I was able to login and access mails without any issues. There was no  
kind of slowness felt.

Could you please make sure that there is no local connection issues or  
net issues due to which you are facing the slowness. Also make sure  
that the mail account is actively used once logged in so that time out  
wont occur.

Please update us the moment you face the slowness issue so that we can  
check the relevant logs and assist you.

Quoting Ashish  Dabral <[email-masked]>:

> Dear Sir
>
> We are getting a very slow connection response from zimbra server.It  
> is a very frequent issue, for create a new email or open a new email  
> we have to refresh the whole page.
>
> Can you please check server logs , why it that delay .
>
>
>
> Regards,
> Ashish Dabral