Subject: Daily Report: September 27 , 2014
From: Elvis George Philip <[email-masked]>
To: Akhil P Walia <[email-masked]>, Suneel <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:21:00 +0530 (IST)

Daily Report: September 27 , 2014

Agent Name: Elvis George Philip

Login Time: 12:30 AM
Logout Time:09:30 AM

CASES

1.      Number of Tickets Resolved:13

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated:2

3.      Number of Tickets Updated:1

Total Number of Tickets worked upon (1+2+3):15
---------------
CHATS:

1.      Number of Chats self-attended:21

2.      Number of Chats transferred:3

        Total Number of Chats Received in Shift (1+2):24

CASES IN CHATS:

        Number of Tickets Created (through Chat):2
        
1.      Number of Tickets Resolved (through Chat):

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated (through Chat):2

3.      Number of Tickets Updated (through Chat):

Total Number of Tickets Handled (through Chat) (1+2+3):

Log of Tickets created through Chat:

Created Case#                                           Type of Query                       Status

https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55665            refund on cancel                      escalated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55664            hosting fee payment regarding sec     escalated
----------------

Log of Cases worked upon:

Case#                                            Type of Query                              Status
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54312       Missing commission                         resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54617       MPS followup                               escalated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54277       error - tick up                            updated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54289       order close                                resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54292       doba ticket close                          resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54609       product import                             resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54647       shopping                                   resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54654       id change                                  resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54321       ticket close                               resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55299       doba - tc                                  resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54993       product description                        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55618       account history                            resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54993       product description                        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55646       order status                               resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/54993       product description                        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/55644       cancel & refund                            escalated