Subject: Daily Report(Kartik P Rao)
From: "Kartik P. Rao" <[email-masked]>
To: akhil <[email-masked]>, Ashish <[email-masked]>, suneel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 05:56:23 +0530 (IST)

Daily Report: September 20, 2014

Agent Name: Kartik P Rao

Login Time:8:25

Logout Time:5:31

CHATS:

1.      Number of Chats self-attended:20

2.      Number of Chats transferred:0

         Total Number of Chats Received in Shift (1+2):20

CASES IN CHATS

        Number of Tickets Created (through Chat):0  

1.      Number of Tickets Resolved (through Chat):0

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated (through Chat):0 

3.      Number of Tickets Updated (through Chat):0

Total Number of Tickets Handled (through Chat) (1+2+3):0 

Log of Tickets created through Chat:

Created Case#                                           Type of Query

----------------

CALLS

1.      Number of Calls self-attended:NA

2.      Number of Calls transferred: NA
Total Number of Calls Received in Shift (1+2): NA

----------------

CASES

1.      Number of Tickets Resolved:7

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated:1

3.      Number of Tickets Updated:2

4.      Total number of tickets:10

Log of Cases worked upon:

Case#                                                  Type of Query

https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53828             deposit slip
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53841             store domain change
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53843             missing order                        escalated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53857             PIN reset
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53813             wrong zCash transfer
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53849             ID change
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53860             ID change
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53853             wrong sponsor
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53945             password reset
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53844             missing commissions
_____________________________________