Subject: Daily Report: September 20 , 2014
From: Elvis George Philip <[email-masked]>
To: Akhil P Walia <[email-masked]>, Suneel <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ashish Dabral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:58:09 +0530 (IST)

Daily Report: September 20 , 2014

Agent Name: Elvis George Philip

Login Time: 12:30 AM
Logout Time:09:30 AM

CASES

1.      Number of Tickets Resolved:6

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated:2

3.      Number of Tickets Updated:1

Total Number of Tickets worked upon (1+2+3):9
---------------
CHATS:

1.      Number of Chats self-attended:18

2.      Number of Chats transferred:6

        Total Number of Chats Received in Shift (1+2):24

CASES IN CHATS:

        Number of Tickets Created (through Chat):2
        
1.      Number of Tickets Resolved (through Chat):1

2.      Number of Tickets Escalated (through Chat):1

3.      Number of Tickets Updated (through Chat):

Total Number of Tickets Handled (through Chat) (1+2+3):2

Log of Tickets created through Chat:

Created Case#                                           Type of Query                       Status
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53760              MPS                                 resolved
Glitch in FM tree LiveChat support request              glitch in FM tree                   escalated
----------------

Log of Cases worked upon:

Case#                                            Type of Query                              Status
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53752       Error message                              escalated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53658       business training                          escalated
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53771       sponsor change                             resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53773       duplicate case                             resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53772       sponsor change (case merge)to 52771        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53771       ticket close                               resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/53781       MPS                                        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/52926       MPS                                        resolved
https://zhunrize.desk.com/agent/case/43599       order trace                                update