Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order
From: Landmark Group <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:32:50 +0000

Hi Yashi Gupta,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order For whom it may concern,

I want to file a complaint for the bad service in handling my shipment
order number 9425580773.
Please note that my shipment was scheduled to arrive today and i have
received a message saying that its out for delivery at 10 AM in the morning.
I have been trying to call the call center since 7 PM with no answer. The
shipment didnt arrive and no one has contacted me to inform me that a delay
will occur.
I have been staying at home waiting for the delivery and i have been trying
to contact someone at the home center, noting that the amount was settled
online in advance.
This is unprofessional and unacceptable from your side, you have no right
to treat a customer with this carelessness.
Please advise on what should i expect now and when will i receive my
shipment.

Thank you

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/6049643