Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint against cashier
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:31:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint against cashier Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I would like to express my frustration on the cashier personnel on your Max
Matina Mall outlet.  His name is Mustafa cashier c264997.

Today, March 25, 2023 at about 1:00 P.M., I bought something at Max Marina
Mall.  While waiting for my nanny who was still in line to pay for her
stuff, I showed my 3 children stuff/toys at the counter. I am the one
showing them perhaps, they will lile something and buy it.

I came across a slime which is inside the box. Knowing that it already has
a tear on the box (somebody might previously opened it already) , I opened
the box. The cashier noticed it and with a hard fa e, she called out with a
loud voice why I'm opening it when it's not allowed. I said my apologise
and explained that I never thought of it because it was already broken
previously.

He then threatened me to check the camera.  That made me feel so insulted
and embarassed.  He could've handled the situation better and differently
whoch would not make the customer feel intimidated and tramautic because he
just embarrased me in front of people abd it isn't worth it. By the way,
the item costs only BD 2.5.

Please adhere to my complaint and I wish to never visit that store again.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5923833