Subject: Ticket Assigned - Remote control cars - December 2022 Xmas Gifts
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 09:52:45 +0000

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Remote control cars - December 2022 Xmas Gifts Good Day!

Trust my email finds you well!

I purchased two Remote control cars in December 2022 Xmas Gifts. Since then
my kids were unable to play with them due to the batteries not working
completely!

Due to me working 7 days a week, I was unable to come through to the store
to return the cars.

Please may I know if there is a possibility of me still returning them? I
still have the box for the cars and the receipts.

You’ll are welcome to do a full inspection on the cars to see that they
have not been played with and they have not been working since the first
day of purchase.

Kind regards
Cathy
058 536 6714

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5798433