Subject: Ticket Assigned - you cancelled item's without informing
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 06:34:36 +0000

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  you cancelled item's without informing good day!

I have a complaint, coz it's everytime happening, why do you have to cancel
items without informing the customer? It's my right to know what is
something wrong with those items?
You have my number and you can contact me. And you still posting it on your
application and it's showing all sizes are available and on promotion, then
suddenly you will just remove it?
If you had to cancel some, I think you better cancel them all coz those
shoes are the main important for that i ordered online.
What am I gonna use by this coming wednesday now?
I'm a regular customer of centrepoint both in store and online, so I guess
you should have to raise this matter as it is unprofessional though I'm
also aware that things happens, however, contacting the customer via a call
is a way better coz I have the right to be informed and not by just sending
me an email without letting me know the reason.

Thank you,
Mariane

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5786247