Subject: Ticket Assigned - ORDER ISSUE
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 09:32:39 +0000

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ORDER ISSUE Kindly check the status of my order and please advice your customer service
to double check the status of the order first before giving advised to
avoid confusion  and inconvenience for your customers! I’ve been using
different online shopping applications but unfortunately it is my first
time facing this kind of issue that it takes time to resolve.

My order # 9417444525. I got a message from centerpoint AlGhurair   last
Sunday saying that my order  is ready to be collected. After a couple of
hours I received call saying again there was an issue and my order is not
yet ready .I didn’t come on that day, I waited and asked the status of my
order from your Whatsapp customer service they advice me again that it was
ready to pick up. I still didnt believe and make sure that it is already
ready and I told about the issue . Then I went to Center point Al Ghurair
to collect it. I waited for how many minutes and they cannot provide
anything . Some of your in charge on the store told me that it’s becUse of
the system . Whatever May be the reason is . It is not our responsibility
to fix your problems. We order from you because we trust you !Dont share
information that will lead to misunderstanding with your customers because
It was really disappointing.

I’ll be sharing some screenshots of the conversation for your reference!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5809621