Subject: Ticket Assigned - Unprofessional delivery service
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:28:35 +0000

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Unprofessional delivery service Dear Sir/Madam,

I keep shopping from Centrepoint and Homecentre for the past 10 years. This
and last week I got calls and messages from unprofessional drivers
delivering parcels asking for location although location is written on each
order and parcel. Please see message screenshot #1 below. This guy today
blackmailed me he won’t deliver my order and sent me one more message
saying undeliverable. Please see #2 screenshoot.

Please sort out these issues - customers who shop ad pay you money should
not be secretaries to delivery staff!!! Why are they not properly trained
to look up the location themselves? What if I send a wrong location and he
goes and delivers it somewhere on unregistered address?? What if I am out
running without a phone or nursing a baby and he keeps sending messages?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Ivana Markovic

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5694910