Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong Item Delivery Complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 13:09:19 +0000

Hi Mohammad Khalid,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong Item Delivery Complaint Dear,

 I would like to inform you that I ordered a (VERSACE DYLAN BLUE pour
homme) from your App this week and I received the parcel yesterday itself,
and I am very much disappointed with the product. Instead of a *pour homme*,
I have got a *pour femme*.

This is not the first time I am buying from you, I always appreciate your
service and product too and like to purchase from your site. Though *this
issue happened with me twice when ordering the same item *

I have ordered it for my brother, and now I see that I have to return it.

Though it is very dissatisfying for me, I expect it to be sorted out soon.
I hope that I will get your help and cooperation on this matter. I am
expecting the exact product in the exact color and size as well.

I will be very thankful to you if your customer care department will take
care of this matter and will do the needful as early as possible. I hope
that this will never happen again.

Regards,

MARWAN GHALAYINI

0591159199

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5658695