Subject: Ticket Assigned - Payment issue
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 05:26:13 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Payment issue Good morning Sir/Madam
       Last Friday 24/03/2023 13:15  I placed one order worth dinner 4.000
BHD from max fashion using your application,when ordering time I give the
payment by using card and it take some time after 2-3 minutes payment is
debited from my account then the order is not confirmed then I got the
message from you like this [“*Your payment for order 7821750734 is being
processed, and it may take up to an hour. We'll notify you when your order
is confirmed*”]like this I got ,then after 30 minutes I got another
 message like [“ Sorry, your payment didn't go through. Please try again at
https://maxfashion.app.link/hEd3ndeAqyb. Please contact your bank if any
amount has been debited.”]
the payment is credited to this account *AL RASHID GROUP BSC MANAMA MaBH.* I
checking time I understood is your account so what cheating is going
through this

I sending transactions details attached by this mail
I waiting for your reply
Thank you

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5948985