Subject: Ticket Assigned - Returns - 9420170380
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:36:39 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Returns - 9420170380 Hi,

I paid for this order using:
Shukran Pay - 176
Discount Voucher -100
Apple pay - 34

And I returned 5 items from this. I was not able to make a return request
from your app and made it through assistance from your agent. Now my refund
reflects as
Card - 25.5
Shukran pay - 132
Non refundable voucher - 75
What is this non refundable voucher? If I paid 176 from Shukran pay, when I
return the products, I need that money back as well. I am forced to try and
return because sometimes your size 22 is too tight or too loose or the
right fit. I don’t have the time to go to physical store and buy products
and try it. I am a regular customer for Max.
The B1G1 offer was applied on offer but when I returned, I returned 4 items
from that offer and one without any offer applied on it. So I think it is
totally unfair on your end to not refund my money. Please consider this
request and provide your response ASAP.

Kind regards,
Ayswarya

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5919019