Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return: SHOEXPRESS Solid Derby Shoes with Lace-Up Closure : Brown Size: 45 Quantity: 1
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 02:29:27 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return: SHOEXPRESS Solid Derby Shoes with Lace-Up Closure : Brown Size: 45 Quantity: 1 Dear Team,

I had requested for picknup of a return item on Tuesday, 14 March 2023
with order number  9419060872 . The item details are as follows:

SHOEXPRESS Solid Derby Shoes with Lace-Up Closure
Color: Brown
Size: 45
Quantity: 1

On Wednesday, 15th March 2023 I received a message saying:

Pickup of order # 9419060872 Solid Derby Shoes with Lace-Up...   with the
Tracking # RP031423005032 was unsuccessful. Our delivery partner is out for
pickup again.

In reality, I've neither received any call or any of the delivery agent
contacted me yet. Its almost 6 days and till now I've not received any
feedback from the delivery team.

I want you to look into this matter and arrange for the pick up as soon as
possible.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Divya

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5895171