Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return and refund - 9420303351
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 13:42:07 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return and refund - 9420303351 Hello,

I would like to return all items for this order. I would like to organise a
bank transfer for the refund. I do not want a voucher for these items.

My order number is 9420303351. I have received this item and the strap is
broken. Please find attached an image of the item. I would like a
replacement or full refund please.

In addition to this, I would like to return all the other items in this
order and receive a full refund. I paid by cash on delivery and would like
to organise a bank transfer for my refund please.

I have just been trying to do this with one of the operatives over the
phone but they did not help me and were saying I will only receive a
voucher. However, I do not want a voucher. I would like a bank transfer
like it states on your website.

When speaking to the operative she told me that I will not receive a refund
for the green swimming costume and orange shirt. I am really
disappointed by this as nowhere next to these items on the website states
this.

Please find the attached image of the faulty item and the instructions on
your website.

I look forward to organising a bank transfer for these items.

Kind regards,
Chloe

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5879428