Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order cancellation
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 09:59:33 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order cancellation To concerned person,
                          Due to your inefficient service of delivery order
to me on time I would like to cancel my order which was due on Saturday
18th of March and till now no sign of it..sorry to say that I will not make
a mistake by ordering online from centre point in the future.it is ur duty
to inform the  customer if the delivery is delayed so he donot waste his
time in waiting as no one is free for the whole day..refund my order
amount  as this is the second time I have suffered by you guys..try not to
make a habit of doing so as you will loose old customers like me and it has
happened with me everytime when I need the item most.

This was my order number
9420230021

Regards
A very unsatisfied and irritated customer
Hasan jamil
0503786553

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5872907