Subject: Ticket Assigned - Two Complaints : Shukran 1800 0004 7456 6984 & Order 9419815226
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:51:49 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Two Complaints : Shukran 1800 0004 7456 6984 & Order 9419815226 Dear Max Team,
Good morning

*Complaint 1: Shukran 1800 0004 7456 6984 Deprived of Cashback Benefit MAX
REF: *#5853641

*Complaint 2:** Order 9419815226 - Selected Product Undelivered - Available
Ordered Item Cancelled by MAX without Reason.  *

*Complaint 1:*
I am a regular customer of MAX. For my family, I used to buy apparels
Offline (from the nearby Store) before. For the last few months, I started
online shopping. I think / guess, I am still a learner to grab the online
shopping benefits. Maybe..!I  As a result could not take the Cashback
benefit of AED.40.50 granted by MAX to my Shukran Pay. I have enclosed
screenshots of mails received from Shukran Pay. I could not use that
benefit while placing an order 9419815226 to MAX.

*Can MAX Team Coordinate with Shukran Pay Team and grant me Cashback
benefit of AED.40.50 with extended period of a week or for two weeks. So
that i can avail the benefit with the next future order. ? *

*Also, Can these points be redeemed during offline shopping (From nearby
Store) ?    *

*Complaint 2: **Order 9419815226 *

Last night, MAX cancelled an Item Solid Wrap Dress with V-Neck and Tie-Up
Belt from the order 9419815226 without any reason despite its availability.
yesterday, I ordered / booked particular items by checking their
availability online. For your perusal, below I have enclosed a screenshot
of its availability on 16/03/23 1.28PM. last, night i was notified Sorry,
we had to cancel part of your order.*Total Refund Amount **AED 45.62*. I am
disappointed to write that despite its availability, it was not sold out to
me obeying my order *9419815226. *
*Rather than refunding the amount against the cancelled item, can a MAX
favour dispatch the same ITEM (Solid Wrap Dress with V-Neck and Tie-Up
Belt) to the location where this order was delivered and notify me to
collect.  ? *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5858542