Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint against supervisor
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:46:13 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint against supervisor Good Day!

This is to bring to your kind attention about the misbehavior of your
supervisor during my visit to your showroom in the Dalma Mall, Abu Dhabi
last Sunday.

My wife visited the trial room and there was an unhygienic condition and
poor housekeeping inside the trial room. Then we immediately informed the
store supervisor Miss Seema. But when we confronted her in order to
address the issues, she was completely ignoring us and not ready to listen
to us properly and left the area.

Subsequently, I called her again but she completely ignored me by saying we
have only one worker for housekeeping staff and this the management problem.

However, it is very strange for me that you assigned such staff as a
supervisor who does not know how to deal with the customer/address the
issues.

Furthermore, the issue  has also been addressed to Store Manager Mr. Amit
and he apologised for her behaviour. Please verify the issues through CCTV
footage to get the clear pictures.

Please feel free to call me for further clarification in this regard.

Regards
Rajiv Kumar
M-0555867013

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5846541