Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order# 9418290027 refund
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 05:33:20 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order# 9418290027 refund Hi there,

In Order# 9418290027 i requested for return for total of 9 items few
days ago.

Your delivery partner picked up the package containing all 9 pcs. But still
now i can see on app that for 3 pcs status has not been changed from
"return requested" to "returned".

*Note: i requested return for 2 more items from same order today as well,
please don't count those.*

So i just want to confirm that you have recieved all 9 pcs? that there is
nothing went wrong in the whole return process.

Also i recieved an email today, of my refund processed for 6 pcs out of 9
pcs.

If you wish, you can contact me on call as well.

Please update!

Thanks,
Lubna
0544753509

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5836660