Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #9415513870
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 06:29:19 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #9415513870 Hi Team,

With reference to the call I had today with your call centre, please note
the following:

- I have received the subject order today around 1pm, opened the Junior
food processor and followed the instructions on how to fix and operate.
- I added water in the tank as per instructions as I wanted to Sterling the
device by steaming it first prior putting food.
- at 4min, I started to hear loud noise like whistle and when am about to
check, the lid exploded with boiling water everywhere. Luckily, non of my
kids were close to it.
- I emptied the tank till less than half to try again, but before it
reaches even 1 min, the noises were even louder and I had to turn it off
quickly.
- I have Avebt food processor so am fully aware how those things work and
how it should sound.
- Am no way going to try it again, however I have taken a video of my 3rd
attempt turning this on, but couldn't keep it for longer than a min as it's
very dangerous. Unfortunately, am unable to attach the video.

Please review and arrange for return and refund.

Thanks
Rania
055 984 4628

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5738800