Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Order#9415718013 to return - not safe
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:28:30 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Order#9415718013 to return - not safe Hello there
This is the email I sent back on the 2 of March.

Please help
thank you

Order#9415718013

Eugenia
0558960647

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Eugenia Santamaria-Kane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 12:05 PM
Subject: Order#9415718013 to return - not safe
To: <[email-masked]>

hi there

I was asked to send an email about my complaint related to the high chair I
bought on the 21 Feb but just assembled it to start using it two days ago
as my baby is turning 6 months today.

The cover of the high chair slides down and it is not safe for the baby
while eating or just sitting without the breakfast tray.

I wish to return it and get my money back please.

I have attached the pictures for your reference.

Thank you

Eugenia
0558960647

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5828100